This action-oriented accelerator will convene a powerful group of women leaders who are out front – fiercely protecting our water, food, air, forests, land, sacred sites, indigenous lifeways, and future generations. By investing in women leaders to scale solutions for change, we are creating the conditions for an inclusive, safe, and thriving world.
Accelerator Design Team
Community Organizer & Youth Program Coordinator Greenaction for Health and Environmental Justice,
Social Impact Strategist,
Author, Educator, Protector
Permaculture Design Program Director, Occidental Arts & Ecology Center
Spokesperson for the Confederated Villages of Lisjan/Ohlone
Co-Founder, Sogorea Te Land Trust
Co-Founder, Indian People Organizing for Change
Designer, Teacher, Writer, Speaker
Launch: Spring 2019
It is globally recognized that women’s leadership is one of the greatest leverage points for increasing our collective climate resilience. Yet the women who step forward to prevent environmental destruction and injustice face an uphill battle. Women’s bodies and health are threatened, their work is under-resourced, and their leadership is stymied. Deep structural inequities rob these leaders of their full potential to profoundly shape our communities, our values, and the future on this planet.
In recognition of the critical role that women play in environmental and climate movements and the acute support they need to grow their impact, the Sierra Club and Women’s Earth Alliance (WEA) are launching the U.S. Grassroots Accelerator for Women Environmental Leaders.
Selected leaders will accelerate the impact of their existing projects in these intersectional areas and beyond:
OUR COLLECTIVE IMPACT
We are committed to generating measurable and sustained improvements to our environment, economies, and communities by catalyzing women-led, grassroots solutions. The Accelerator will work with selected women environmental leaders from throughout the U.S. and U.S. Territories to:
- Generate quantifiable impact in leaders’ projects that restore ecosystems, transform agriculture and food systems, build green economies, and protect people’s health, rights and safety
- Grow public awareness and visibility for key environmental campaigns and causes via Sierra Club’s 3 million + membership and WEA’s international network
- Bolster women’s environmental leadership nationally and internationally by strengthening women’s networks, spheres of influence, and access to resources
THE ACCELERATOR INCLUDES:
- 4 months of weekly facilitated online skill-building, knowledge exchange, and coaching with an action-oriented focus specifically tailored for your work with a cohort of 20-30 allied women leaders
- Twice-monthly group video calls and speakers
- Program content offered by experts on topics such as how to measure the impact of your work, increasing awareness of your work through effective communications strategies, diverse models for raising funds, building strong coalitions, hands-on environmental technologies, leadership development, and healing and self-care
- Sector-specific working groups to dig deeper into environmental technologies, networks, and communities of practice
- The Collaboratory: A 4-day immersive experiential learning and knowledge-share, hosted by our partner Occidental Arts and Ecology Center (OAEC), an 80-acre research, demonstration, education, advocacy and community-organizing center in West Sonoma County, California (all travel and accommodation costs covered by the Accelerator)
- Graduation into the Women’s Earth Alliance – an alliance of women environmental leaders who are building relationships for the long-term, co-designing a diverse and just movement of women’s environmental leadership, and unleashing solutions that will shape our collective future
Los Angeles Eco Women’s Alliance
Women for Wildlife
In the face of environmental crises, the diverse solutions that women leaders deliver are critical to our survival. In response, the U.S. Grassroots Women’s Accelerator is designed for timely action and high impact.
Now is the time.