This action-oriented accelerator will convene a powerful group of women leaders who are out front – fiercely protecting our water, food, air, forests, land, sacred sites, indigenous lifeways, and future generations. By investing in women leaders to scale solutions for change, we are creating the conditions for an inclusive, safe, and thriving world.
Accelerator Design Team
Permaculture Design Program Director, Occidental Arts & Ecology Center
Spokesperson for the Confederated Villages of Lisjan/Ohlone
Co-Founder, Sogorea Te Land Trust
Co-Founder, Indian People Organizing for Change
Kerene N. Tayloe, Esq.
Director of Federal Legislative Affairs, WE ACT for Environmental Justice
Designer, Teacher, Writer, Speaker
Launch: Spring 2019
It is globally recognized that women’s leadership is one of the greatest leverage points for increasing our collective climate resilience. Yet the women who step forward to prevent environmental destruction and injustice face an uphill battle. Women’s bodies and health are threatened, their work is under-resourced, and their leadership is stymied. Deep structural inequities rob these leaders of their full potential to profoundly shape our communities, our values, and the future on this planet.
In recognition of the critical role that women play in environmental and climate movements and the acute support they need to grow their impact, the Sierra Club and Women’s Earth Alliance (WEA) are launching the U.S. Grassroots Accelerator for Women Environmental Leaders.
Selected leaders will accelerate the impact of their existing projects in these intersectional areas and beyond:
OUR COLLECTIVE IMPACT
Together, the Sierra Club and WEA are committed to generating measurable and sustained improvements to our environment, economies, and communities by catalyzing women-led, grassroots solutions. The Accelerator will work with selected women environmental leaders to:
- Generate quantifiable impact in leaders’ projects that restore ecosystems, transform agriculture and food systems, build green economies, and protect people’s health, rights and safety
- Grow public awareness and visibility for key environmental campaigns and causes via Sierra Club’s 3 million + membership and WEA’s international network
- Bolster women’s environmental leadership nationally and internationally by strengthening women’s networks, spheres of influence, and access to resources
We are calling on leaders who are leading environmental/climate initiatives and are ready to take their work to the next level.
THROUGH THE ACCELERATOR YOU WILL GAIN:
- A comprehensive action plan to strengthen and scale your environmental/climate initiative that includes impact framework and metrics, strategy, timeline, and budget
- A communications plan and professionally produced media assets
- A seed grant of $1,500 to scale your project and a certificate in Women’s Environmental Leadership
- Alliance and relationship-building among a cohort of cutting-edge women leaders
- Visibility within the Sierra Club’s 3 million + membership and Women’s Earth Alliance’s international network
- Speaking, facilitation, and other leadership opportunities within the Sierra Club and Women’s Earth Alliance national and global programming
- Ongoing mentorship and access to and input into both organizations’ resources, networks, and repository of best practices
THE ACCELERATOR INCLUDES:
- 4 Months of weekly facilitated online skill-building, knowledge exchange, and coaching with an action-oriented focus
- Program content offered by diverse experts on topics such as designing and measuring for impact, effective communication strategies, resource mobilization, coalition building, environmental technologies, leadership, and self-care
- Twice-monthly group video calls and speaker series
- Sector-specific working groups to dig deeper into environmental technologies, networks, and communities of practice
- The Collaboratory: A four-day immersive experiential learning and knowledge-share at a Northern California retreat center
THE ACCELERATOR IS RIGHT FOR YOU IF YOU ARE:
- A woman or woman-identified leader at the forefront of an environmental/climate initiative that is creating deep and broad impact in your community, and, in some cases, nationwide
- Active in non-profit leadership, grassroots advocacy, business, community organizing, or movement building
- Actively engaged in and driving forward an initiative with an environmental/climate focus
- Recognized by your peers as a leader in your issue area
- In the process of scaling the impact of your work to create game-changing environmental/climate justice and impact
- Skilled in building networks and forging diverse partnerships within your community
- Committed to growing your capacity in order to advance your cause
- Interested in engaging people across different cultural, faith, and belief traditions
In the face of environmental crises, the diverse solutions that women leaders deliver are critical to our survival. In response, the U.S. Grassroots Women’s Accelerator is designed for timely action and high impact.
Now is the time.